Usually you can install Magento Extension by using Magento connect (check here), however, sometimes you have to manually install through FTP or SSH.
It is not that difficult! Let’s have a look at the article below which will give you confidence to install all modules without having to buy extra installation options.
In any circumstances, before installation you should also pay attention to:
- Not to install extension in case this module has not been tested on a test site, which means it is inadvisable to install it on a live site. It is because sometimes, for some such reasons as incompatibility, fail module, etc. that affect your website, or website may stop operating in a period of time resulting in low sales figures. If you still would like to install on live site, ‘Backup first‘.
- Disable cache before installation. Cache enable may corrupt the procedure of creating MySQL data tables or errors related to user permission. Go to System > Cache Management, selecting all caches then ‘disable‘ them. (see figure 1)
- Disable the compilation mode. Go to System > Tools > Compilation
Follow the below image and make sure that what you see is similar to the image before installation.(see figure 2)
- Before uploading module via FTP, make sure that the target directory is magento root, not the root of your live site but the root of testing magento site. Why I have to remind you this. It is because we, the professionals sometimes can not avoid uploading to the wrong directory.
- Prepare FTP connected software (Filezilla, which is completely free, is my best choice)
- Make sure that your FTP connected account have sufficient permission to upload files and create folder.
If you often encounter problems with permission, read this post.
Okay, let’s start installation. It is simple, there’s no more steps, everything you prepared is ready. Upload file and wait for the upload to finish.
After finishing the upload, take the initiative to refresh Magento cache once again, then logout of the system. Login again to avoid 404 Not found Errror when go to module configuration:
I do hope you perform as directed and the installation becomes simple and smooth 🙂
Some modules may requires you to follow many steps to successfully finish the installation, hence make sure you follow their instruction.